Cybersecurity effects everyone in an organization. Cyber Toa’s Cybersecurity Fundamentals course is intended for those wishing to learn the core concepts and sources of information for cybersecurity. The course explains best-practice advice from NZCERT, the application security verification standard and the Australian Cybersecurity Centre to insulate organizations and individuals against cyber-threats. With a range of interactive scenarios, case studies, videos and activities using real life situations so students can reflect on their own behaviour and have the information necessary to make informed security choices.
Next Scheduled Date: 22nd September 1-5pm (Sign Up through ITP)
Delivery: Live Online Course, Instructor led, Supervised Activities
Duration: ½ days
Module 1: Introduction to Cybersecurity
- What is modern cybersecurity?
- What are the ‘Essential Eight’?
- Why do these practices protect again most common cybersecurity threats?
Module 2: Cybersecurity Testing and Checking
- How does antivirus software work?
- What are the limitations of antiviruses and firewalls?
- What attacks do these afford protection against?
Module 3: OWASP Top 10 Web Vulnerabilities
- What is OWASP?
- How do most common web vulnerabilities work?
- How to assess the risk posed by specific vulnerabilities?
Target Audience and Course Prerequisites
The Cyber Toa Cybersecurity Fundamentals course is aimed at any staff that require basic knowledge of cybersecurity controls and systems. This includes managers, technical staff and any staff associated with risk management. This course is non-technical, and does not require information technology knowledge, however technical IT staff will also gain useful insights from this course.
This course will teach you some core principles of cyber security that provide broad-spectrum resistance against a variety of common attacks.The course explains, in detail, the most highly-recommended ‘Essential Eight’ security practices as recommended by the Australian Cybersecurity Centre and NZCERT. It also covers a variety of common web vulnerabilities based on the OWASP Top 10. Study of the course can also help to build the prerequisites to study more advanced IT security courses, including the Cyber Toa Defensive Network Security course and the Cyber Toa Cyber Reconnaissance and Recovery course.
On course completion, you will be able to:
- Explain the top 10 most common web exploits and evaluate the risk they present to your application and organization
- Explain the ‘Essential Eight’ cybersecurity practices recommended by the Australian Cybersecurity Centre
- Use some common tools for assessing both software and organizational cybersecurity
- Understand the risk to business that cybersecurity vulnerabilities pose as compared to other common risks.
The course consists of a study volume, containing indexed notes and review questions, a series of supervised practical lab exercises and a glossary.