Cybersecurity Incident Response Playbooks
Scheduled Dates: 15th June 1-5pm, 14th July 1-5pm (Proudly presented through ITP)
Duration: ½ days
Delivery: Live Online Course, Instructor led, and Supervised Activities
Cybersecurity effects everyone in an organization. Cyber Toa’s Cybersecurity Incident Response Playbooks course is intended for those wishing to develop incident response playbook(s) for their organization to respond to a range of potential cybersecurity threats. This course covers best practice cyber-response playbooks following the NIST cyber-response frameworks. The course also includes adapting existing framework to match the needs of a specific organization with experience professional guidance. This course includes a range of interactive scenarios, case studies, videos and activities using real life examples so learners can obtain hands-on experience with the principles that are taught.
Module 1: Cybersecurity Responses
- Appropriate Responses to Cybercrime
- Response plans
- Critiquing Cyber-response playbooks
- Generating and Critiquing a cyber-response strategy
- NIST compatible cyber-response playbooks
Module 2: Organizational Vulnerabilities
- Antiviruses, Firewalls
- Vulnerability Assessments
- What software do attackers target?
- Common Cyber-attacks
- Internal Threats
- Labs: Comparing Organisations to recommended Cybersecurity practices
Target audience and course prerequisites
The Cyber Toa Cybersecurity Incident Response Playbook course is aimed at IT professionals from organizations with existing network and infrastructure teams. Previous networking and IT knowledge is helpful, but not required for this course. Specifically, it is recommended that you have the following skills and knowledge before starting this course:
- Are aware of general types of cyberattacks (phishing, malware etc)
- Have experience with organization-specific IT
- Have an interest in developing an organization-wide cyber-response strategy that extends beyond only technical staff infrastructure and practices
This course will teach you the fundamentals of crafting cybersecurity incident response plans for organisations. It explains common cybercrime and cyberattack scenarios for various industries both in New Zealand and abroad. The course also includes best-practice cyber-responses to specific cyberattacks such as phishing, spearphishing and malware infections. Study of the course can also help to build the prerequisites to study more advanced IT security courses, including the Cyber-Reconnaissance and Recovery Fundamentals course and the Cyber Toa Defensive Network Security Fundamentals course for students wishing to pursue more technical cybersecurity careers. On course completion, you will be able to:
- Explain common cyberattacks for your industry.
- Perform a basic assessment on an organization’s risk profile against specific cyberattacks
- Produce an iterative cyber-response playbook for specific attack scenarios
- Critique existing IT processes based on their resistance to cyber-threats
The course consists of a study volume, containing indexed notes and review questions, a series of supervised practical lab exercises and a comprehensive glossary.